Whats the process for upgrading your WordPress site from php5.6 to php7.2?
- WordPress no longer supporting any security issues with 5.6
- php7.2 and 7.3 are faster at handling requests
- better security
How to minimise the risks
You need a way to safely see what errors your site will produce when you set your sites hosting settings to run on php 7.2.
The safest way to do this is to run a “local” copy of your website on php 7.2. You can setup a local copy of your site using Flywheel Local
- Copy site to local flywheel local
- set local site to php7.2
- view error log
- fix errors
- upload fixes to live site
- Set live site to run php7.2 through your cpanel (yoursiteurl.com/cpanel)